Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Truth of Lying

I have had a lot of trouble writing this most recent blog post. Maybe because I have been out of the loop with blogging, but it's more because I don't know if I am ready to ask my questions to the world (or just the few who read my blog). But here I go.

Why do people lie?

I have had my fair share of innocent lies throughout my life. I lied almost every night as a kid about washing the table, when all I really did was just wipe the crumbs to the floor for my brother to sweep. I lied about how much time I have spent studying versus watching tv. I have lied about what I really did the night before. I have lied (or as I like to call it exaggerating) to make my stories just a little more entertaining.

I can not lie about lying, because it's just impossible. We all have told a few small tales.

I honestly can say that I have never lied about who I am. I think that the moment when someone lies about the defining characteristics of who they are is when lying becomes such a hurtful and deceitful act.

Recently I have been lied too. Not just lied too, but I was told a fictitious story that was so intertwined into my own life that it makes me now question everything. It makes me wonder what other lies I have been living, and who else has been and will be lying to me. It honestly gives me a disgusted feeling inside thinking about how anyone could possibly be so relentless with other's emotions. All of these things keep circulating in my head and maybe always will, but I have found with every lie there is still truth. Truth is always there.

My recent encounter with this compulsive liar brought out truth too. It brought out the importance that truth plays every day. Lies can seem like they have saturated my life for some time now, but the best thing about truth is that it is always there and is stable. Lies come and go, and are always revealed.

I realized that it is the truths in life that get us by day to day. I know everyday I will wake up and my family will unconditionally love me. They will stand by my side and be a solid truth in my life. I know that I have friends that will be there for me and love me for who I am and what I do. But most of all, I have the truth of myself.

I am my biggest truth. I can not lie to myself and I can not hide from myself, so when it seems like lies are colliding with my world, I can find the truth within myself. It's comforting that I know I can trust myself in the end. Even if I have acted like someone I may not have wanted to be, I am still me and am honestly true to myself. I know in my heart when I am not me.

At the end of the day, despite the malicious lies others may have told us, we all have the honesty of ourselves to hold true to.




2 comments:

  1. Morgan,
    I am so sorry to have found out about your situation. I just want you to know I love you and I am so thankful that I have such an amazing friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady. Missing you since no wedding shenanigans to keep us occupied. You are a wonderful, amazing lady. And your family--yes..that would be me. I've known you since day one...literally so that counts as family do love you unconditionally. Truth. Word to your mother, and so on and so on.

    P.S. I know people, who know people who know people. If you catch my meaning. ;) Love. Always.

    -A

    ReplyDelete