Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Creating Miracles

"Miracles happen to those who believe in them" Bernard Berenson

This quote like many dealing with miracles emphasize the importance of believing in them, but not about how to make them happen.

I couldn't say it better than Dr. Bernie S. Siegel said in his book 365 Prescriptions for the Soul:

"A true miracle is usually defined as an event that defies the laws of nature as we know them. On the other hand, quantum physicists reveal that desire and intention can alter the physical world. This reaching for the unreachable star makes sense, and creating miracles becomes possible, if one is willing to do the work."

I have never been one to necessarily believe in miracles; let alone rely on them. One reason for my reluctance to rely on such an idealistic event to occur is that miracles have seemed uncontrollable to me. I like to believe I have some kind of control over my existence. With this definition and explanation of a miracle, I see that miracles can be taken under control by any individual themselves.

The human is an absolute phenomenal organism. With a brain that has such a limitless ability of knowledge and a body that can do unthinkable tasks, no human being exhibits their full potential throughout their life time. We do not know our potential. We have the potential to create miracles so minuet or so exorbitant.

I have the ability to reach for something that seems so unrealistic to me, and work towards a plan of action that will gather all the pieces to create something big. Something I maybe have always thought of as bigger than me. Creating my own miracles, or even just knowing I have the ability to, pushes me to strive harder for what I dream of and to do something about it versus sitting and waiting for it to surprise me, as the impression of miracles do.

I think about Haiti being in need of a serious miracle after the devastation that occurred last week. A miracle that absolutely is not possible with out the help of millions. Our potential as citizens of the world needs to be explored. We need to do anything for these struggling members of our own society. If it's donating money or blood, adopting a child or giving anything to these people and their country, we must do it. My own miracles that I can create will hopefully never be as needed as those of the people of Haiti. Not just today do they need help, but they need help for the next decade as their country completely rebuilds itself from the ground up.

In no way do I think that anyone would disagree with the importance of this tragedy, and I certainly do not want to preach, but when I stumbled across this definition of creating miracles I could think of nothing else.

We all should test our potential and see what miracles we can create within our own lives, the lives of others and throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment