Friday, December 4, 2009

Getting Caught Up in Expectations

My friend Holly A. Urkevich recently blogged about Expectations. It got me really thinking about life without expectations. A life that disregarded goals and ambitions. A life I can't possibly fathom.

I think there is a distinct difference in living a life without expectations and living a life getting too caught up with in expectations. You can't possibly live a life without expectations. Every moment of our existence is based on expectations. Expectations from our parents, friends, family, society, and most of all our expectations of ourselves. Every decision we make turns into an action that is fueled by motivation or impulse. Both based on expectations of what we are anticipating as a result.

The easy shopping model can demonstrate this. I saw a shirt last night at Anthropology that I loved and the fact it was on the sale rack made it even better. Right then, I knew I shouldn't buy it, because I didn't need it. But in my mind I was visualizing my expectation of it. Where I would wear it and would people like it. Very superficial but still an expectation. I bought the shirt and am wearing it right now. My expectation was met.

The bigger picture is your expectations of yourself. Your goals and ambitions in life. Without them, I don't know how much I would accomplish. I would not be the person I am or much of a person at all. I would walk, breathe and eat through life and wait for something to plop on my lap and when it did, I wouldn't even know what to do because without expectations you can't have motivation.

Paul Arden writes, "Your vision of where or who you want to be is the greatest asset you have. Without having a goal it's difficult to score."

A vision is an essential tool that every single individual has. Even if they don't want to admit it, they still have it. We are humans who anticipate the future. Maybe only the future of tomorrow or of our whole lives. But they are still visions that require us to have expectations.

The problem with expectations is getting caught up in them. Making them a basis for your survival. Not letting your expectations bring happiness. Letting them bring disappointment and frustrations. Your in control of your expectations, so let them bring happiness and hope to your life. Getting caught up in expectations can be almost as detrimental as having no expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment