Friday, December 11, 2009

Letter to Me

"If I could write a letter to me and send it back in time to myself..." - Brad Paisley

I rarely listen to the lyrics of any song and actually analyze them. This would account for my terrible ability to sing the right words of songs, when I listen to music. My friends would all vouch for this quality I portray far to often. But this Brad Paisley song really got me thinking about what I would write in a letter to myself 10 years ago.

I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't want to "write a letter to me" about all the things that could get me through the tough times of my adolescent years. I mean it is impossible, but looking at the hypothetical situation, I think the tough times are what make us who we are. If we were to give our selves advice about how to avoid certain situations or inspiration that it will all work out in the end, I would not be the person I am today.

Every moment we live, we are cultivating our personalities and creating our identity. I mean I wouldn't be the same person if after 8th grade graduation, I decided not to wipe the poison ivy plant all over my face in a stubborn act of "knowing" it wasn't poison ivy. I clearly was punished for this stupid act, with swollen shut eyes and a face that did not resemble my own. I am not defined by this certain incident, although it does still get brought up frequently, and it wasn't a turning point in my stubborn personality. It is just one piece of the puzzle that makes me who I am.

It made me think about some of the hype about the ethical controversies dealing with genetically altering genes of your future child. I certainly have mixed feelings about this when it deals with big issues like disease, deformities, and other issues that provide for complications during child birth. I understand the pros and cons, but I just don't think we should essentially act like God to cure a potentially troubled child. Luckily science sees many of these ethical controversies and it is monitored.

I don't condone any type of materialistic genetic engineering. What will our world have come to, if I can chose my child's eye color, body build or their athletic ability. Our identities are not only shaped by our experiences and troubles in life. They are also shaped by superficial aspects, even if we do not want to admit it.

Regardless if it's my blonde hair or my run in with poison ivy, each of these things have shaped who I am today. I wouldn't change anything about my past, because to really live, you have to live through what might not be the glamorous times to appreciate the good times. I try to look at the bad times as actual times that glorify the good times. My last poison ivy incident in May did not seem as traumatic as the first, regardless if it was a week before my brother's wedding.

I think my "letter to me", would be two words. Experience Life. I certainly couldn't write a whole song about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment